I can’t tell you how excited I was when this arrived in the mail….it should be obvious because I wrote a post about it 🙂
I had to hold off on taste testing the Choffy for a few days because I had other coffee to use up first (hey, I can’t let good coffee go bad because I am overly excited about a shiny new bag). I had good reason to be excited, afterall the Choffy site makes some pretty big promises for this product. If you didn’t read my initial post on Choffy, let me remind you of its many perks (get it, coffee related drink…perks…oh how I entertain myself!).
- 100% Organic
- Contains NO: sugars, fat, chemicals or dairy
- Hello, it’s BREWED CHOCOLATE
- Health benefits galore!! More antioxidants in an 8oz cup than in 2 servings of blueberries
- Energy without caffeine- choffy contains theobromine, a natural stimulant that will provide energy without the crash
- Theobromine is a myocardial stimulant and a vasodilator- it increases heartbeat AND dilates blood vessels causing a reduced blood pressure and greater circulation
- Flavanols in cocoa activate Nitric Oxide in the blood helping to prevent vascular disease
- Contains phenylethylamine and anandamide which are adrenal related natural chemicals that help keep you focused and altert
- These chemicals work to increase mood and decrease depression but are not addictive like caffeine!
Now the time has come, I opened the bag to take a look at my ground cacao beans and WOWZA it smells amazing. Pure dark chocolate amazing.
Then I brewed the stuff. I woke up in the morning to something different than my normal alluring coffee smell, this was like waking up in a chocolatier’s shop. Not a chocolate cake or baking smell but the smell of warm, melted chocolate filled the air. It was amazing and I couldn’t wait to taste the Choffy.
How does it taste?
Don’t expect it to taste like hot chocolate, quite simply because it isn’t. It does not taste like drinking chocolate either, if you have ever had that. Drinking chocolate is a very concentrated cocoa powder without the sugar and dairy additives that hot cocoa, it is also really thick. Choffy tastes like chocolate as you might suspect, however it is more like an unsweetened bar of baking chocolate or cocoa powder type of taste (that you can sweeten to your liking). What is great is it does not have an after taste like coffee, no bitterness, just pure chocolate essence til the last drop.
To my cup I added some soy vanilla creamer and a packet of splenda. I loved every drop of it like this but I want to try it other ways as well. For other cups I want to try cream or a heavier coffee creamer (maybe with an adventurous flavor) to see if that makes it more like a hot chocolate.
My tips, don’t brew a weak pot of Choffy. You get the best flavor when you follow the instructions (2Tbsp. per 6oz of water). I believe that is why when I tried to make iced Choffy, it wasn’t very impressive. You are really going to want a strong chocolate flavor and adding too little grounds to your brew or adding ice afterwords will only dilute the drink.
Can’t get enough of A Cup of Mo? | Mo on Facebook: LIKE Mo! | Follow @MoLovesCoffee
- Choffy (findingcoffee.wordpress.com)
- Do You Need a Caffeine Fix After a Workout? (fitsugar.com)
- Starbucks Iced Coffee (Home Brew) Review (findingcoffee.wordpress.com)