Agave Nectar- A Naturally Healthy Sweetener
Cactus? As a sweetener?
I have a sweet tooth. I like sugar in my coffee and I love dessert. I’m always looking for lighter options when it comes to this habit of mine. For a long time I have been trying to stay away from white granulated sugar and use artificial sweeteners like sucralose (aka Splenda). On a recent trip to Trader Joe’s, they were serving their coffee samples with agave nectar instead of sugar or a sugar substitute. Since then, I have seen agave nectar included as the sweetener on many of the food/recipe blogs that I follow.
This may not be new, but it is new to me so I wanted to share it with you. Recently agave has become the preferred sweetener of health conscious consumers, doctors and natural foods cooks. It’s health benefits include:
- Favorable glycemic profile- won’t raise your blood sugar like refined sugars will
- Naturally occurring sugar (Fructose) that is found in fruits and veggies
- A sugar substitute without the bitter aftertaste of most artificial sugars
- Considered a raw food
- Completely vegan
- It is about 40% sweeter than sugar so you can use less
- “Splenda” I kicked it!! (myjourneytofitness.com)
- Agave Nectar Sweetener a Healthy Alternative to Sugar (prweb.com)
- Cocktail of the Week: Triple Orange Margarita (timesunion.com)